BEWARE THE MOON REVIEWS
Ah, so I see you have seen the film too! Any thoughts? Either that or you're just not that bothered on spoilers for it - you silly person. Welcome to my review, with lots and lots of thoughts and spoilers. Turn back now if you haven't seen it - last chance... "A family's serene beach vacation turns to chaos when their doppelgängers appear and begin to terrorize them."
I LOVED THIS FILM. So so much. So much so I want to watch it all over again, especially the more I read into it, and the more I realized what little things I missed. As I have so many thoughts, I think I will put them all in a bullet point type list, will I miss some out though? Bet you I do...
1. The Ending. I feel I shall start here as I have something to say about that twist. It wasn't as big as I was expecting, and is an ending I can see people working out or even guessing. I did like it though, and I did not work it out at all. My ending idea was that us normal ones, were going to slowly become them, and would switch places with the tethered - I guess I was on to the right lines in some ways. I got that idea from how Adelaide was walking and acting at the end, during the big fight scene, and as far as I know, that was her tethered side showing it's ugly face - maybe. I liked the ending though, I thought it was set up very well throughout the film, even with little clues, and it did help tie things up. The fact that even the real Adelaide's voice was covered in the twist, and why she was so scary sounding, but also how she fitted in with the other tethered - incredible. It was all thought out!
2. The Tethered. I found them creepy as hell, honestly, I was shitting it. They look the same, but also so different, and I really cannot work out why they look so different. I feel maybe they have fainter/less eyebrows, but I still have no idea. They just stand and smile and they even have traits of the normal person, such as running or just being an ass, like the families friend, Josh, who is killed. I loved them, and I actually would say they might be my favourite villains of the year - easily. Terrifying. And Adelaide's voice - daaaaaaaamn, and her smile - and when I say Adelaide, I mean, the real one...
3. Bloody guy. This one is a bit out of the blue, but was one of my main questions from the film. Who was the guy who Jason saw on the beach? The homeless looking guy who has blood dripping from his hand and why he was standing there. I had to Google this, and I love who he is when you know it. It's not obvious at all, and that's so great as you should get it the more times you see it... He is the first tether to kill their doppelganger, and he is the guy the family see as they reach the beach, and also the guy who Adelaide sees when she was younger before she got lost- I think. He is standing in that position as he is starting the line of tethers! Clever right?!
4. Rabbits. Are they a food supply, and is that because they have lots of sex? That's what I have read mostly, and Adelaide does say how they ate cold rabbit flesh. I then also read how it's the whole down the rabbit hole type thing, but I understand the food supply more... Turns out, there are a lot of theories...
5. Talking of theories. There are a lot, pretty much only the ending is set in stone, most other things are down to your own judgement - which I love. My dad will hate that though when he sits down to watch it... Lots of theories, and lots of images that would be picked up in films studies. I used to do film studies at school, and teachers pick up on anything, such as a colour or shadows. Us has a hell of a lot of those, some of which are really really smart! Bravo!
6. One question that came into my head a lot, Red had planned this whole thing out, for what I assume was years maybe, lets just say a very long time, but after all that time, why did she decide on them all wearing sandals?! Rest of the outfit, great, but sandals, probably the hardest shoes to do anything in, let alone stalk and kill someone. Just a little question...
I feel these are most of my points and thoughts I had on this film, without this review being very very long... Overall, I loved Us. On the surface, it's a creepy film that keeps you on the edge of your seat, but pull back that top layer and you get a whole load of lovely little extras. Little clues such as Adelaide's reactions to the tethered, and white clothing going to red. Even the line they stand in is thought out and means something, but not just one meaning, even the song to do with the charity at the time, links in. So clever! Jordan Peele, bravo, I need more, please keep it up. All I can say, is I want to watch this over and over again, and I feel you should too - go now. Honestly, this is now one of my new favourite horror films.
Now just to get the parents to watch it...
Watching horror films since like 2003, when I could stand dead bodies..